IIRON proclaims the need for a new guiding set of values for our economy. IIRON rejects the dominant value system that says money and profit are the measure of all value, that promotes private individual wealth over the commonwealth, that insists that the market provides all the justice we require, that casts all misfortune as moral failure and that scorns compassion as coddling the unworthy.
1. Economic Justice: IIRON believes an economy must provide opportunity for all and benefit the many rather than the few.
2. The Common Good: IIRON believes that some goods and services in society must be publicly funded and administered for the sake of the common good, and be held accountable to “we the people” through our democratic government. These common goods must be protected from being solely provided on a profit basis or by private entities.
These common goods include:
- Health Care
- Criminal Justice
- The Military
- Social Security
- Public Infrastructure
- Public Service & Safety
3. Democracy: IIRON believes in the principle of one-person, one-vote. We do not believe corporations are persons.
4. Living Wage Work & Worker Rights: IIRON supports the idea that every person who is willing and able to work should be able to work with compensation that can sustain a family. No one who works should be poor or lacking in basic needs. Those unable to work should have their basic needs provided for. Workers have the right to organize themselves into unions and bargain collectively for wages, benefits and working conditions free of employer intimidation, harassment and coercion.
5. Environmental Protection: IIRON affirms that a healthy environment is the fundamental need of the human race and all living things. No system or right of property should supersede our basic obligation to protect the commons of our natural environment.